Saturday, February 26, 2011

Give us this day our daily bread.

I was inspired by another blogger who has 7 children age 7 and under to make homemade bread this week. I'm not sure why I thought it would be easy, but I thought if she can do it, I can too. She made it sound easy enough...Ironically, this sign sits on my kitchen windowsill and I stare at it every morning as I toast the bread or bagels for our breakfast. Today, I would make bread for my family. I would start a tradition that my kids would remember forever.

To say it was a messy morning is an understatement.
At one point when the directions called to "punch the dough down" I actually lost my hand into the dough and could not retrieve it. My husband got his laughs for the day watching me try to figure out how to get my hand out without all the dough being attached to me.

The recipe called to add flour until the consistency changed not giving an exact amount needed. I think that may have been my biggest hurdle. I may have not added enough and then I may have added way too much. Here they are after going into the oven. I called Seth's mom and sent her a picture and she said they looked "yummy". I still wasn't convinced they would survive my temperamental oven.

I always bake using my grandmother's favorite bowl and this would be no exception. I love mixing and thinking about all the wonderful things she made for us using the same bowl. Sadly, not even grandma's magic bowl could help me today. I was a baking hot mess. My hands were burning from yeast stuck to my hands. I didn't even know yeast burns!

Well, they came out looking ok. Now it was time for the real test. The hungry kids!

I don't know if you can tell but these are BIG LOAVES! One loaf was gone in 20 minutes. Totally gone. Ruby and Orion said it was the best bread they have ever had. Wow! It was pretty whole grain tasting so I wasn't sure they would like it, but they LOVED it. They kept asking for more and more. I guess the burning hands, mess and dough under my fingernails for the next two days was worth it.
This process really reminded me of a time when women HAD to do this to feed their children. When every thing from baking bread, washing clothes, even finding food to prepare was so much more complex and required so much preparation. It is nice as a woman today to have the luxury to do these things as an option vs need. It was actually also a nice stress reliever to kneed the dough and punch it down. I kind of liked it. My first time making bread was an adventure and I am excited to try it again soon. With grandma's bowl and God's help I will one day be amazing bread making mama.

The Proverbs 31 woman is not idle. She is a hard worker, a servant , diligent, determined and tenacious, full of energy, a multitasker, plans ahead, cares about her home and is appreciated by her children... Just to name a few.

I urge you to take time this week to bake bread or break bread with your family this week. Take a moment. Enjoy it. Get your hands dirty.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Don't know where you find the time to bake, much less write about it!
You amaze me.