Tuesday, May 17, 2011

((singing)) These are a few of my favorite things...


Ruby asked this morning why we have crosses on everything in our house. I replied, "Honey, we don't". She didn't agree and decided to try and count them all. The kids didn't get a grand total before the bus came so I guess we do have lots of crosses in our house. After the boys were off to school I started dusting and was looking at some of the crosses. I landed at one of my favorite spots in our house, the bookshelf. My husband inherited the bookshelf from his parents. It is one of two 10 foot tall family built bookshelves. His brother has its twin. On one shelf sits a few of my most favorite things.

A special bible that the Grandfather of one of my students made special for my family. It is art, beauty and the Word. Hand crafted leather design. I almost tear up whenever I open it. It is so special to me.

A cross that I got when we started a church plant. It is Jesus on the cross handing over the Holy Spirit. I found it at a small bible store and fell in love with it. I had never seen one like it before. I just have to look at it to feel Christ reaching out to me from the cross. So powerful. So many prayers have been said meditating on this image. A reminder that I'm never alone. Death and life. Sacrifice and gift.

A bible of my Grandmothers (one of many bibles and hymnals I have of hers). This one is from 1893 and has beautiful details. The pages are so fragile. It has a special dedication inside from my ancestors from 1894. I love the symbol of a long line of believers passing down their faith. It gives me goosebumps. What better legacy can you leave?

The last is a picture of my Great-grandmother praying with her hands laying on her bible. My aunt gave me this photo years ago and it instantly became one of my favorite things. I've studied it so much over the years. Her hands, the bible, even the details of her sleeves. It captures a beauty about her that few other angles could have captured. True beauty.

I know this isn't anything like Oprah's favorite things list. It may not be exciting. But, looking at these things made me realize how important it is to have things that remind us not only of where we have been but where we are going. These things are symbols of both my past, present and future. Maybe my kids will have a similar picture of my praying hands on their shelf one day and will have the same feelings I feel now. A feeling of gratitude. How many prayers were said for me? How many verses memorized to shape those who then shaped me? How awesome is that?

I think it is so important for us to have these reminders of not just who we are but also how loved we are. Find your favorite things and put them out on display today friends. Share your faith story, your legacy. These things are precious.