Saturday, May 7, 2011

I've reached a new level of couponning.

I am going to be very transparent here people, so bear with me.
I don't "love" coupons. I actually don't love sitting and clipping, sorting and organizing coupons on my one day off each week. For us, right now, it is necessity. Four kids and two adults that love to eat and a husband finishing college makes this a way for God's provision for us. When Rowan's doctor told us he had to go on one of the most expensive formulas I thought well, either I try this coupon thing or we go to DHS. I just couldn't do it. We were already just barely getting by.

I joined Savings Angel (see the link at the bottom of the page). I got a newspaper. I made up a binder. I got a tip that the best deals would come from a store that would double dollar coupons. I checked those stores out. I can't really explain how intense these stores are. Every shopper has a binder. Every woman is a coupon pro. They all have calculators and lists and move with stealth and precision. I didn't think I could do it. How could I get to the point where I knew product prices off the top of my head? How do you grow a stockpile? It was overwhelming.

For the past month I have been really saving up all of my $1 value coupons preparing for "the big trip". I was excited looking at the store matches knowing I had coupons that matched with the "Mega Sale" would give me many free products. The excitement kept building. Yesterday at 9:30am Ruby (my 5 year old assistant) set out for the big adventure. It was almost 5 hours and three full carts of crazy. Ruby and I both had moments where we wanted to give up. We were tired, weary from our power shopping. All in all the amount I saved was well worth the sacrifice of time and energy. When the register went over $700, I actually lost my breath and started to panic. I sent a text to my husband to pray. Two cashiers and a manager came over to start working on the coupons. The people behind me were watching, as excited as I was. Checkout took almost half an hour and when I was all done I had saved over $450.00! I couldn't believe it! I actually did it. I did spent just over $300 (my goal was to get under that but I came darn close) I was able to stockpile some great items for us too. It was a miraculous blessing. God is always teaching. In this He is showing me that if I am willing to work, He WILL make a way. He even showed me how to bless others in the midst of his blessing on me. Giving out coupons to those unexpectedly, giving help to those that are new to coupons and giving away extra items that I have are all ways that I've felt God's leading. I'm even at peace with strange looks and people calling me "The crazy coupon lady". I wouldn't say I'm a pro, but I am learning and I feel like I am at the point where I can be successful in my efforts. Keep saving and praising, ladies. Any time you use a single coupon it is money still in the bank! All glory to Him!


"The Lord shall command the blessing upon me in my storehouse and in all that I undertake...The Lord makes me to have a surplus of prosperity through the fruit of my body. He blesses me in the land which He gives me." ~ Deuteronomy 28:8,11

2 comments:

Tricia said...

This was a pleasure to read, you are such an inspiration! <3

Unknown said...

You have SO many amazing talents!
Another to add to the ones you already possess. I can't wait to see what is next!