Wednesday, April 13, 2011

In times of trouble.

Whom do you call when storms are on the horizon?

I am sure many people call a parent, a friend, husband. My impulse is always to call my mom. Ask for her advice, or even just to have her hear me. She is my sounding board, my comfort. Her voice picks me up and makes me feel like everything will somehow be ok. The very same now as when I was five years old and fell off my bike and skinned my knee.

During one of my lessons today a student told me some very serious and potentially life changing news. Setbacks. Challenges. Pain. Transition. Uncertainty.
My heart immediately began to go before the Lord for her. I started praying as she was talking to me. God give her strength, comfort, peace. Let her rest in you. Dry her tears. Give her strength. Protect her Lord. Keep her safe. Love her like no one has ever loved her. Please Lord, please. I was silently crying out.

I often think of Jesus in a similar role as a mother with her child. Jesus kissing our wounds. Drying our tears. Laying us down to rest. Lifting us up when we can't walk any further.

Who should we go to first before all others? The answer is always God. He who is comforter, strength, counselor, healer. Were does my faith come from? From this. There have been times, so many times that I had been so beaten down. Sick. Bullied. Beaten. Betrayed. Ugly. Dripping in sin and sadness. Who is the only one who pulled me from the pit? My glorious Savior. In my weakness HE was strong. He lifted this wretch by his amazing grace. He restored me. Healed me. Gave me a joy that is unearthly. Wrote a new story on my heart and song on my lips.

I'm praying tonight that in our greatest trials, sickness, death, and pain, in the daily decisions, even those that seem small, that we run with arms open to the one that loves us the most. The one waiting like a mother scooping her child when she falls. He loves us. He cares for us. I am crying out on behalf of my dear beloved one that God gives her the peace that can only come from him. The love like that of a loving parent. That in her time of troubles that she will rest soundly tonight knowing to whom she belongs and the comfort that awaits her in being His.

No comments: