Saturday, April 23, 2011

Top 10 Coupon tips I've learned.

1. The double dollar coupon is the "holy grail" of all coupons. Many of my free items have come from the combination of a sale on an item and the doubled dollar coupon. In example: Deodorant for my husband on sale for $2.24 with a dollar coupon makes it only .24 cents. Yesterday, I got floss on sale that they paid me more then it cost! The stores closest to me that do this are Davison and Grand Blanc Kroger and VG's in Waterford.

2. A coupon binder makes the prep before the store much more intensive but makes the store shopping much faster. I was totally against the binder but a friend convinced me that I really needed to be more effective and organized. All you need is any binder and baseball card sheets. The sheets ironically are on sale right now at Meijer.



3. Rite Aid, CVS and Walgreens are the best places for freebies. If you have any of these close to you check them out once a week. Hurry because the free deals go FAST.

4. Have a coupon buddie. A friend that helps you shop or is looking out for great deals with you is great. My friends Karen and Lisa from church have been a great coupon support for me.

5. Know your store. I think having a "home store" that you know well is really important. Knowing the price of the items you usually buy and the layout of your store really helps with shopping.

6. Shop only a few times a month and stock up on the good sales instead of shopping each week. So many of the best deals come when you buy in big quantities. Instead of shopping for your family weekly try to build up your stock so that you can buy when things go on sale, not necessarily when you need them.

7. Save up your coupons. Hold your coupons like you are holding your cards in Vegas. Wait for the best deal. Don't settle for 50% off when you might get 75% off the next week.

8. Meal plan. I have to admit I am not there yet but my friends that are have GREAT success with meal planning. Some sites like savingsangel do a meal plan based on the store you shop and the best sales at those stores.

9. Involve your kids! My kids now know that we won't buy a product unless we have a coupon or it is a great sale. They love to look at my coupons and hunt when I take them with me. It is a great thing to teach our kids about saving money and being good stewards of what God gives us.

10. Join Savings Angel! This site has saved us SO MUCH money in the short time I've used it. It tells you the best deals for your store and is great at letting you know the freebie items and what coupons to use. Check it out!
http://savingsangel.com/amember/go.php?r=39162&i=l8

No comments: